Tuesday, January 17, 2017

i was interviewed once by SA decor & design blog

WILDETECT
November 8, 2012
Quinton J Damstra has been running his own architectural design studio  for 11 years, QJD design studio, designing over 100 new homes and over 500 alterations and additions. The Wildetects main objective is to create designs that are not static, but designs that are daring and unashamedly vibrant and bold – capturing the blur representing movement in the comic strip. We get close up and personal with Quinton  who is  passionate  about design and making a difference.

Where did you get started?
Design aesthetic is always for me the first point of departure. I know it’s not the analytical designer’s first step. I design my furniture creations from an emotional space. And admittedly emotion is not always reasonable and that is why my furniture is a very personal exploration. It’s not for mass market appeal and I found several years ago designing between the lines of acceptability wasn’t exactly satisfying for me. So my furniture designs are an expression of my own design journey and that’s what inspired me to get started in furniture design.
 What is  your style?
I follow an African fauvistic design style – wildetecture – the fauna and flora of Africa is as beautiful as it is wild – and exploring this dynamic African energy concept has been rather exciting and produced some interesting end results.
Up and coming projects
I have been designing a range of wildetect style skateboards and chess pieces – as well as several homes now nearing completion.
The best thing about being a furniture designer.
The experimentation of form – to interact with your own design once its built is always exciting – being brutally honest about mistakes and needed improvements keeps one grounded and champing at the bit to create model 2 and then 3 etc.
Who inspires you?
People who are able to support families and pay bills with limited means – they do this without fanfare and they seem to enjoy the moments between the 9 to 5.  architects who inspire me are Antoni Gaudi, Hundertwasser, Bart Prince, Tadao Ando. Irving J Gill.
 I am the happiest when.
I’m with my wife Mandy, Tayze and logan-hawke our kids and our 2 crazy sausage dogs – Minky and Rory.
Best furniture piece purchased.
I must say it’s our Klooftique leather couch – we purchased the model called the fat boy – I love my lazy Sunday afternoon time.
 My involvement with the WCFI.
I lecture design at academy IDT – the WCFI has been one of the most accessible design forums, initiatives for my students to engage with in SA. The industry and client design arena can be rather a daunting place for most students. However when a design initiative can reach over the chasm of  no confidence and not much experience – and provide a solid platform and a clear pathway for a design student to showcase individual talent to industry,  then it has achieved something very special. So my involvement is to send as many of my design students to the wcfi as possible – to cut their teeth in a kindly design environment before the acid test of the big wide design world.


Quinton J Damstra qjdamstra@new.co.z  Cell: +27 82 458 2766  www.wildetecture.com