Friday, August 5, 2011

my uncle gus damstra and his stone roses


my uncle Gus Damstra was a real eccentric character - he was a rock hound and used to spend many hours making stone eggs amongst other stone items in his studio in houtbay.  he was really passionate about  geology and various types of stones and rock formations. many years ago before chapmanspeak was closed during rainy spells.  my uncle Gus would wake up early after storms and go collect the chapmanspeak stone that fell on the road. he wanted to build a house from it. so with his glasses halfway on his nose and that funny geologists magnifying glass thingy strapped to his glasses - he was off to prospect some chapmanspeak stone. in his van with trailer.

anyway my good ol uncle loved to go to Namibia, south west it was called then,  to collect a stone rose or 2. he had a show cabinet in his lounge with all sorts of stone things he had made or collected. the stone roses always fascinated me. so when i spotted one in a previously advantaged shop - (charity shop) it sparked me thinking about my uncle. i have a photo of me with him on his plot - he was a gem of a character with a twinkle in his eye.

he passed away a good few years ago - the stone rose reminded me of a passion not easily forgotten and such a joy to behold.